”A Gentle Beginning” is a pioneering approach to parent support in the first 18 months of a child’s life, inspired by the Pikler Approach.
“A Gentle Beginning” helps parents find confidence and joy in their growing and changing relationship with their baby/infant. This is easier when, on the one hand, there is time to get to know who their baby is, through building a respectful reciprocal relationship, and on the other, when there is an understanding of what babies, universally, as well as individually naturally need in order to thrive.
Running “A Gentle Beginning” groups keeps me in touch with babies, mothers and the challenges and joys of the first 18 months of life. Here I learn so much.
My approach is guided by these streams of understanding:
- The profound insights of Rudolf Steiner into the subtle and spiritual nature of the human being provide a neglected but crucially important wisdom filled understanding of what is appropriate and not appropriate in the first years of life.
- The rich and well documented experiences of observing and caring for young children at the world renowned Pikler Institute in Budapest, and Resources for Infant Educarers (RIE) in the USA, offer a clear picture on the one hand of how a joyful, co-operative bond can be developed between parent and child from the earliest weeks, and on the other hand why infants need the freedom to come into standing through their own initiative.
- Psychoanalysis, neuroscience and child development research provide further insight into many aspects of parent support work including the importance of the parent-baby bond, and the benefits of group support.
- Counselling skills and a natural warmth and ease ensure that the session space is safe and nurturing.
Sessions last 1 ½ hours
- There are a maximum of 8 mums/dads and their babies/infants
- Mum/ Dad sit on the floor and the baby/infant is placed on their back in front of them
- Mum or Dad are given a welcoming drink and homemade cake
- We catch up with each others week
- We discuss current issues and share experience
- We observe the children move and play – in silence – enjoying their development, week on week.
- We sing nursery rhymes and interactive songs together.
In-between sessions I email interesting and relevant articles.
The sessions are £7 in advance payable in half termly blocks.
The first session is FREE.
- Parents usually stay with me for a year, until their children are toddling. Parents form a strong supportive group which outlast the formal sessions.
“Learning your ethos towards babies and children has been so helpful. Observing the children quietly and learning that you don’t need to constantly interact with or entertain your baby. I have been very influenced by these ideas and I feel that it has supported and encouraged some of my 'natural inclinations'."
York Steiner School, York YO10 4PB
The Stables, 10a Nunmill Street, York YO23 1NR
Days and times
Thursday 10.30-12, 1.30-3pm
For more information fill in the contact form