Originally trained as a Steiner Early Years teacher and a counsellor, I now have over 20 years’ experience of working with parents and carers of very young children in support groups in York, where I live, as well as running workshops and courses throughout England and abroad.
I have authored a book called The Parent and Child Group Handbook. Hawthorn Press (see publications) and write articles for journals and magazines.
Training in the Pikler approach at the Pikler Institute in Budapest Level 1 and 2, with Resources for Infant Educarers in the USA, and in Psychoanalytic Child Observation at the Northern School of Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy have brought a new depth and sensitivity to my understanding of the needs of the very young child.
I now offer consultancy to mainstream baby and infant rooms as well as for Steiner/Waldorf initiatives and settings and regularly speak at conferences and workshops.
I run support groups for parents and infants, based on the Pikler approach called a Gentle Beginning and organise and host Pikler Level 1 and Level 2 trainings for Early Years practitioners in York UK.
I am national birth to three representative on the UK Steiner/Waldorf Early Childhood Steering group and chair of the Steiner UK Birth to Three working group. I am co-founder and chair of the Pikler UK Association.
I have a son who is now 24 years old.
- BSc (Hons) in Rural Environmental Science (1976)
- BLD in Landscape Design (1979)
Specialist trainings include:
- Steiner/Waldorf Early Years teacher Diploma 1995
- Advanced Diploma in Developing People and Human Relations Practice – Counselling at Oasis School of Human Development, Boston Spa.2007
- Pikler Training Level 1 and 2 in Budapest, Hungary 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014
- Diploma - The First Years of Life training at Sophia’s Hearth, NH,USA 2008 and 2009
- Resources for Infant Educarers (RIE) Training, Level 1, Florida USA 2009
- Simplicity Parenting Group Leadership 2011
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychoanalytical Child Observational Studies, NSCAP 2013
- Organising and hosting Pikler 1 and Pikler 2 Level trainings at York 2011 and 2014
I have recently changed my name from Dorothy Male to Dorothy MARLEN